We Rock a Lot of Polka Dots
When did America's love affair with polka dots begin? I know I'm certainly not the first, nor will I be the last to be excited to put together an outfit such as this one involving an exuberant, chic, and whimsical polka dot print. Dress is White House Black Market from thredUP.com. Phone case is thekase.com. Lipstick is Smashbox.com/ Be Legendary and lipgloss is Stila Stay All Day.
Necklace is from d.alexander collections, bracelet is from Holsbrook, and earrings are from Kendra Scott.
Miss Selfridge faux leather jacket is from John Lewis.
Shoes are Isaac Mizrahi New York and glasses are Cutler and Gross from thredUP.com.
I found my magazine cover bag at a thrift shop in Pawtucket, RI ( the old Ann&Hope for locals) but these options can be found at aliexpress.com.
Early Days for the Dots:
- Miss America 1926 was photographed in a polka dot swimsuit
- Walt Disney created Minnie Mouse and her polka dot ensemble in 1928
- Frank Sinatra released his hit Polka Dots and Moonbeams in 1940
- Christian Dior designed his "New Look" collection including many dresses with polka dots in the 50's.
- Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, and Lucille Ball were all seen again and again looking ravishing in polka dots in the 50's and 60's. Julia Roberts later donned dots in one of her first major roles.
- Brian Holland released "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"
Polka Dots are certainly not a 'girl' thing -
- Marvel created Polka Dot Man, who used the power of polka dots to defeat baddies in 1962.
- Bob Dylan, Roger Sterling, and Joseph Gordon Levitt are only three examples of fabulous men's styling of polka dots.
- Marc Jacobs is quoted as saying "There's never a wrong time for a polka dot." and invents his "Dotty Collection" Dot perfume.
This modern yet nostalgic look is made from items on polyvore.com.
Dress is Saint Laurent/ matchesfashion
Jacket is IRO Ashville/ intermixonline
Necklace is Laveliq.com, earrings are Kate Spade, and bracelet is Dolce&Gabbana.
Bag is Papa Razzi Marilyn Clutch/ magentacouture.com. Shoes are Christian Louboutin So Kate 120/ netaporter.com.
In closing, I think it's best to stick with the wise words of Marc Jacobs, because no matter how or why they became popular :
So , always remember -
Thanks , as always , for your time and attention. It's always appreciated.
I hope this inspires you to wear, or at least appreciate, one of my favorites- the cheerful pattern known as polka dot.